Saturday, March 25, 2006

Romance Writers of America’s RITA and Golden Heart finalists announced

To many, romance novels don’t seem worthy of award status. But those who dismiss all romances as fluff or worse are making a serious mistake. They are either judging the entire genre based on the worst examples or more likely they are judging the genre based on what they assume lies between the covers of every romance.

Romances explore relationships and seek some sort of positive resolution to those relationships.

Some romances make their readers laugh at their missteps. Others give readers a glimpse of what true love is supposed to look like. Some just give a few hours of pleasant distraction. As we as a society change, the romance market changes.

I’m proud to be a member of RWA even though my manuscripts don’t fit neatly within the genre and are as frequently hated by contest judges as they are loved. The realities of my life experiences bleed into my fiction, even when the work isn’t autobiographical and I wouldn't have it any other way. But it’s my belief in hope for flawed characters like myself that most links me to RWA. As the RWA communication committee chairperson, I get to foster communication and respect among a wide spectrum of writers who disagree as often as they agree.

For more information on the romance genre or RWA’s awards, visit:

Still don’t like romances? No problem. Stories focused on romance may not be your thing or you haven’t found characters and/or situations you can relate to.
Bookmark and Share
posted by Marcella Chester @ 10:49 AM   0 comments links to this post


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home