Wednesday, April 05, 2006

BoingBoing: Internet Filtering and XXX and childhood memories

Boing Boing has an interesting thread going about the problems involved with automated Internet filtering programs.

What caught my eye, however, was a picture of a restaurant called XXX Root Beer in Issaquah, Washington which is definitely child friendly. I didn't realize any of those restaurants were still open since the one in my hometown of Walla Walla closed long ago. As a child, XXX Root Beer and The IceBurg Drive-In were destinations of desire before I knew any other type of desire.

Fortunately, the IceBurg, which opened in 1952, is still open and my memory of eating those freshly made burgers wasn't just nostalgia. The last time I was there, it lived up to my memories. If you ever go there, the onion rings are the best I've ever tasted. One warning: they don't have public restrooms, something I never noticed when I was a local.

IceBurg photo

Like most kids, I sometimes griped that I lived in a nowhere town. But now Walla Walla is being promoted as a destination. Read this LA Times story Maybe I'll have to go back again and stop for more than the burgers.

For those of you who have violence in your childhood, are there good memories from your childhood that can serve as a counter balance to the worst memories?
Bookmark and Share
posted by Marcella Chester @ 1:06 PM   0 comments links to this post

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home