Sunday, April 02, 2006

Justice Roberts states that domestic abuse victims may be harmed by Supreme court ruling

The US Supreme Court ruled recently that police without a warrant cannot search a house if one resident says no, but another says yes. According to Justice Roberts' dissent, this may lead to the police being helpless to protect domestic abuse victims.

Consider me cynical, but when the conservatives on the Supreme Court seem to be the strongest advocates for victims rights, I can't take their opinions at face value.

Since this ruling only applies to searches for evidence, the real impact on domestic abuse is unknown. Even though domestic abuse issues have been linked to this case, the real fight might be about attempts to loosen the restrictions on what is considered an unreasonable search.

This might be an attempt to erode civil rights cloaked as an attempt to protect victims rights. For once, I hope I'm wrong.
Bookmark and Share
posted by Marcella Chester @ 4:46 PM   4 comments links to this post

4 Comments:

At April 02, 2006 5:30 PM, Blogger Edie said...

I wonder too about rulings like this. The conservatives scare the hell out of me.

 
At April 02, 2006 7:47 PM, Blogger Marcella Chester said...

Edie, I'm glad I'm not the only skeptic.

 
At April 03, 2006 1:38 PM, Blogger Txfeminist said...

I think you are absolutely right, and at the same time I think that Roberts was probably careful to voice a scenario that is most likely a real potential effect of the decision. I don't think he's stupid; and he would not use a scenario that could easily be dismissed as unlikely, or not factual.

In other words, just because I mistrust his agenda, doesn't mean I think he was lying.

Which equals bad all around. :-(

 
At April 03, 2006 8:50 PM, Blogger Marcella Chester said...

txfeminist,

I don't think Roberts is lying, but I do think his perspective isn't backed by a deep understanding of domestic violence.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home