Monday, July 03, 2006

Seeking Nominations For Carnival Against Sexual Violence #3

The second edition of the carnival against sexual violence came out a few days early. Go take a look at the variety posts included in this edition if you haven't already.

As we approach what for many of us is Independance Day, I was thinking about the power of words, either to inspire us or to demoralize us. This led me back to my response to The G Bitch Spot's comments on how often emotional and verbal abuse gets overlooked when we talk about child abuse.

Child abuse isn't the only area where we can overlook the damage words can have. Emotional and verbal abuse frequently occur around sexual abuse. This non-physical abuse can come from many sources including from the offender or from those who pass judgement on the victim or from the criminal justice system that is supposed to help victims get justice.

For the third edition of the carnival, I'd like to highlight posts about the power of words related to sexual violence and/or on the fight against sexual violence.

Other topics are still welcome.

Please nominate an existing blog article or write a post and nominate it to the next edition of carnival against sexual violence using our carnival submission form. Links to this and future editions can be found on the blog carnival index page.

The deadline for 3nd edition is Wednesday, July 12 at 11 pm and it will be hosted here on July 15.

Technorati tags:
Bookmark and Share
posted by Marcella Chester @ 9:07 AM   2 comments links to this post

2 Comments:

At July 03, 2006 3:41 PM, Blogger Marj aka Thriver said...

Thanks for the link for GBitch. I'll have to get over there and say thanks for the carnival link, too.

I would hasten to guess that sexual abuse/assault and domestic violence are often tied WITH emotional and verbal abuse. In my own experience, the verbal & emotional abuse were just as difficult to heal from as the sexual assaults. The verbal abuse often gets replayed like a tape or CD in the head. I'm still working on erasing attacks like, "loser," "idiot," "moron," etc.

Then there's what I call spiritual abuse (verbal and emotional in nature also) from my mother that truly exacerbated my sexual abuse. She lamented about how I would have to ask Jesus to come into my heart and intervene for me with God because even he probably could not forgive a girl who was as bad, dirty and evil as I! Yes, indeed, truly damaging abuse. I'll see if I can carve out some time to post on this and submit it.

 
At July 04, 2006 3:22 AM, Blogger Holly Desimone said...

For the third edition of the carnival, I'd like to highlight posts about the power of words related to sexual violence and/or on the fight against sexual violence.
THANK YOU MARCELLA, this area means alot to me. In my fight for justice, abuse in the courtroom was an area you are never ready for, with the judical system. YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS. IT IS THE FIGHT TO PROVE RAPE! Many of us never make it to the courtroom, for those of us who do not remember it does not mean you were not assaulted. Please remember it is not your fault, if the courtroom tactics by lawyers become to much, I remember those days at the courtroom wondering, why..........

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home