Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Quarter Million Rapes Estimated In The Congo During Last 4 Years

Newsweek
It had been no secret that nearly all sides in the Congo's complex civil war resorted to systematic rape among civilian populations, and estimates were as high as a quarter million victims of sexual assault during the four-year-long conflict. But once fighting died down, victims began coming out of the jungles and forests and their condition was worse than anyone had imagined. Thousands of women had been raped so brutally that they had fistulas.
I don't have words for the magnitude of this atrocity.

Technorati tags:
Bookmark and Share
posted by Marcella Chester @ 9:09 AM   2 comments links to this post

2 Comments:

At November 29, 2006 9:32 AM, Blogger Holly Desimone said...

Dear Marcella,
THE POST SPEAKS FOR MILLIONS WHO DO NOT HAVE A VOICE!!!
I will say the same as you did, "I DON'T HAVE WORDS FOR THE MAGNITUDE OF THIS ATROCITY".
Sincerely Holly Desimone

 
At December 03, 2006 9:08 PM, Blogger Gracchi said...

Sorry I supplied the link from Salon to you before I saw this- its been a while since I checked your site- but I'm glad you are on to this. I just posted something on my own site from reading that Salon story and reeling in horror.

This is sickening and horrific. And probably that's an underestimate given the difficulties of knowing what is happening in the Congo- I'm struggling for words here so I'm going to echo you about the magnitude.

When will we have a world when finally no incidents like this occur? I can't imagine what is happening out there- I wish I had the moral vocabulary to express my feelings.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home