Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Republicans Posing as Dems Make Late Night Calls To Turn Off Democratic Voters

DCCC

(Washington, D.C.) – Today, with memories of past intimidation in the minds of voters, national Republican operatives are phoning voters at all hours of the night, especially at 2:00 a.m. and 3:00 a.m. to try and dampen Democratic turnout. Reports of these calls have come in from New Hampshire, where the GOP has been forced to stop the calls, and FCC complaints have been filed in Pennsylvania because of the calls. Republicans have spent $2.1 million on calls like these, targeting 46 Democrats in the last week alone.
Actions designed to suppress the vote are anti-American because they do more than suppress individual votes. They attempt to suppress democracy itself.

Winning becomes the only thing that matters.

Forget values. Forget ethics. Forget the common good. Forget everything but power.

I've never needed a phone call to get me to vote in primaries or general elections. And no phone call will stop me from voting.

I vote because I want to decide on candidates and issues, but more importantly I vote because to not vote would make me figuratively invisible to the politicians who base their votes on how that vote will impact their chances of re-election.

Politics isn't corrupt nor is it futile, but those who attempt to harness politics for their own interests can be corrupt. Many of these corrupt politicians would love it if I threw up my hands and said I was giving up on politics because nothing ever changes.

I will never give them what they want since that would mean one less citizen who isn't a member of their base who is ready and willing to hold politicians accountable.

Sometimes that means that I will be part of a trend that changes the status quo. But even when I vote for a candidate or a cause that I know doesn't stand a chance of prevailing, I am communicating that there is at least one voter out there who is bucking the trend or who doesn't support the winner. That process of communicating is a win all of it's own.

Getting an "I voted" sticker says that I exist in the political world.
Bookmark and Share
posted by Marcella Chester @ 12:03 AM   1 comments links to this post

1 Comments:

At November 07, 2006 3:51 PM, Blogger Gracchi said...

Great glad you've voted. I'd go as far to say though I'm not American but British that its your highest duty to vote because its an action whcih effects a hell of a lot of people- its also an action about which you should be informed- there can be no excuse for ignorance about politics nor can there be for apathy.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home