Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Duke Lacrosse Hearing Postponed


A critical hearing in the Duke lacrosse sexual assault case has been postponed until May as the new prosecutors, who took over from embattled District Attorney Mike Nifong, study the evidence. Prosecutors from the state attorney general's office met with defense attorneys for about two hours Tuesday, the first meeting between the parties since the state took over the case from Nifong earlier this month.

Defense attorneys said afterward that a planned Feb. 5 hearing would be rescheduled. "We will use this time to continue reviewing the case files, talking to the many people involved in the cases, and making sure that all discovery requests have been responded to properly," state Attorney General Roy Cooper said in a statement.

The accuser in the case was expected to appear at the Feb. 5 hearing and defense attorneys planned to ask Superior Court Judge W. Osmond Smith III to throw out her photo identifications of the defendants.

I consider this good news for justice since the extra time will allow fresh investigators time to evaluate all of the evidence. True justice can't only consider the needs of the defendants, it must also consider the needs of victims and the impact legal actions have on the general population.

For anyone confused about why a case with "no evidence" hasn't yet been dropped, read this op ed by Wendy Murphy.

Technorati tags:
Bookmark and Share
posted by Marcella Chester @ 8:36 AM   1 comments links to this post


At January 31, 2007 11:36 AM, Blogger Holly said...

Hi Marcella,
Great Post about Duke Case. This is good news in respect to the justice system. Thank you for the update.


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home