Sunday, March 04, 2007

Blog Against Sexual Violence Day 5 April 2007

Note: The 2008 event is scheduled for April 3. For details read the complete description.

Blog Against Sexual Violence logo

On the national A Day To End Sexual Violence scheduled for April 5th, 2007, I will be coordinating a Blog Against Sexual Violence event. The goal is to get as many bloggers as we can to participate. It's not too late to join us.

The 2007 Sexual Assault Awareness Month campaign national slogan for this April is: Prevent Sexual Violence…in our communities.

This is an important area for survivors to participate in since for many people rape prevention equals lecturing victims or potential victims on what they did or are doing wrong.

Last year, Femivist hosted a Blog to raise awareness about sexual violence day on April 18, 2006. Even though that blog has now closed, having so many related posts on all those blogs on the same day shouldn't be a one-time event.

If you are willing to participate in the Blog Against Sexual Violence event on Thursday April 5, please write a post about this project on your blog with a link back here. That will help get the word out in the next month to those who don't normally post about sexual violence, but who do care about preventing sexual violence. (update: Your participating post with a link back here serves as your announcement.)

For those who don't know what to say, simply write a short post that tells rapists when they first should have made a different choice. Or give advice to those who witness a buddy edging dangerously close to rape or sexual exploitation. Or share your insight about red-flag behaviors from people who otherwise seem safe. Or post about some anti-violence event or service. Or review a book.

Sex crime victims and survivors have been bearing the greatest responsibility for rape prevention for far too long. If anyone needs to be educated on what they should do differently it is rapists and those who look the other way when someone near them steps over the line in their effort to make sexual contact.

If nothing else, you can post some resources such as:
RAINN
National Sexual Assault Hotline (US): 1.800.656.HOPE (1.800.656.4673)

As the date approaches, I will post more information and reminders about this event.

Update (4/5): Here is my post with the links to all the participants I know about. It's not to late to join this great list of bloggers. Just do a post and include a link to this post so I can find your entry and update the participant links.

To place the graphic above on your blog insert the following code:


Here's an alternate logo available for those who have been injured by sexual violence. (I took the idea of the purple heart and used teal which is the color used in the sexual assault awareness ribbons):
Teal Heart Award logo



Hat tip to Vegankid's efforts for the Blog Against Sexism Day on Thursday, March 8th, which reminded me of last year's rape awareness event.

Update: To help keep track of who has announced their participation, I'm including a couple of link searches. If you announce your participation and don't show up on either list, please contact me through a comment or private email (listed here on my profile) and I will add you to the blogroll I am creating which will include all known participants.

Technorati links to Blog Against Sexual Violence Day announcement

Google blog links to Blog Against Sexual Violence Day Announcement
Bookmark and Share
posted by Marcella Chester @ 11:48 AM   33 comments links to this post

33 Comments:

At March 05, 2007 7:59 AM, Blogger robyn|baptistnomad said...

I'm there...posted on my site to raise consciousness and awareness!

 
At March 10, 2007 6:46 PM, Blogger Monika said...

Sounds great! I'll be there! And I put a little blurb on today's blog.

 
At March 12, 2007 2:42 AM, Blogger Megan Bayliss said...

Done and done. Posted and sent to other bloggers I talk with. Let me know if I can do anything else Marcella.
Megan from Australia.

 
At March 12, 2007 10:01 AM, Blogger Marcella Chester said...

Thanks for joining in, Robyn, Monika and Megan (and everyone else who has announced their participation on their own blog).

 
At March 12, 2007 8:30 PM, Blogger Anja said...

I´ll be there, too!
http://anja-lesenstattputzen.blogspot.com/2007/03/ich-mach-mit-wer-noch.html
Anja from Germany

 
At March 12, 2007 9:02 PM, Blogger Holly said...

Thanks for bringing awareness, count me in...take care everyone. Sincerely Holly Desimone

 
At March 14, 2007 4:26 PM, Anonymous moonlightjoy said...

I created a Facebook event for this! I hope that's okay...

 
At March 14, 2007 5:33 PM, Blogger Marcella Chester said...

Moonlightjoy, that's more than okay, that's great. Any help I can get spreading the word is appreciated.

 
At March 15, 2007 4:12 PM, Anonymous Scott said...

I'm in. I just sent you a PM.

 
At March 16, 2007 8:21 PM, Blogger G's Cottage said...

In and posted your link on my blog.

 
At March 17, 2007 10:38 AM, Blogger incurable hippie said...

I've posted the banner, and will definitely be doing a post on that day. Will mention you in my next post also :)

 
At March 18, 2007 7:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be placing a banner on my site www.parentsurvivors.com - I'm a mother whose daughters were sexually abused by their grandfather - my father. They are victims and so am I. I am still struggling with the reality of this as dad never did anything to me as a child. AMT

 
At March 18, 2007 10:10 AM, Blogger Marcella Chester said...

Thanks to everyone who has let me know they are in for this event.

AMT, my heart goes out to you. Since my boyfriend was someone I knew my entire life -- and whom I'd cared for until my trust was betrayed -- I understand some of your struggle.

 
At March 19, 2007 12:30 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Fabulous idea! I'm right there with you! I've got a post about the day and have you linked up!

Blessings and hugs,

Jennifer

 
At March 29, 2007 6:52 PM, Blogger nightgigjo said...

I'll be participating on my WordPress blog:

http://nightgigjo.wordpress.com/

Thanks for organizing this. I'm all linked and ready to go.

 
At March 31, 2007 8:38 PM, Blogger UneFemmePlusCourageuse said...

I'm there, mate...
The name is Genevieve, and I am committed to your cause.

 
At April 02, 2007 3:28 AM, Blogger Steve said...

I've participated, so you can add me to the blogroll.

Two of my closest female friends were victims of violence, and one of repeated sexual assault from childhood.

 
At April 02, 2007 9:12 AM, Blogger Marcella Chester said...

Steve,

I didn't see a blog listed in your blogger profile. Let me know what URL to add to the blogroll (if I haven't already found your blog) and I'll add it.

 
At April 04, 2007 6:57 PM, Blogger FIGHTER2 said...

OK HERE'S OURS

THE NET MERGES SEX PREDATORS & PIMPS

 
At April 05, 2007 4:28 AM, Anonymous blue milk said...

Thanks for organising this, I am very pleased to support this day to raise awareness and have participated so please add my post to your list.

 
At April 05, 2007 10:27 AM, Anonymous Heart said...

I'm in, and thanks for the heads up, blue milk!

Heart

 
At April 05, 2007 1:25 PM, Blogger Kate Harding said...

Hey, I'm late to the party, but I just posted here: http://kateharding.wordpress.com/2007/04/05/feminism-not-just-for-the-ladies/

(Thanks also to blue milk for the heads-up!)

 
At April 05, 2007 3:00 PM, Blogger Mother Laura said...

Here's mine. THINK BEFORE YOU PREACH

 
At April 05, 2007 5:34 PM, Blogger incurable hippie said...

I've blogged against sexual violence.

Sexual violence is terrorism.

 
At April 05, 2007 5:57 PM, Blogger Monika said...

Today on my blog http://thecuriousescapadesofdeedeethecat.blogspot.com/ I shared some myths re: acquaintance sexual assault, a great article on power and powerlessness and the gender socialization of males and females, and information on responding to disclosures of children who have experienced sexual abuse. Brightest blessings all! Monika

 
At April 06, 2007 1:25 AM, Anonymous Aletha said...

I have blogged about a bunch of news stories about sexual violence, in the page category Men Terrorizing Women. I put the link back to here in my latest entry, Man Dismembers, Then Burns Ex-Girlfriend.

 
At April 14, 2007 9:09 PM, Blogger Threat Assessment & Response Canada said...

Hi. I missed this, otherwise I would have done something, too. Are you doing it again? If you are, is there a way you could let me know? Is it only once a year?

Laurie

 
At April 14, 2007 9:18 PM, Blogger Marcella Chester said...

Laurie,

You can participate belatedly (link to this post so I can find your entry) and I will add you to the participant list.

Also there is the Carnival Against Sexual Violence which comes out twice a month. Follow the link to find out how to nominate a post.

 
At April 16, 2007 2:03 PM, Blogger Journeying Forward said...

Hi Marcella. I'm late, I know. But, I just posted a letter that I sent to my state legislators that calls for tougher sentencing against Child Sexual Predators (Jessica's Law) as well as a link for readers to find out where their state stands when it comes to these creeps. Thanks for organizing this event.

 
At July 29, 2007 11:48 PM, Blogger Quincy John said...

I'm too late about this movement but i wrote something related to this.

http://quinkoytawops.blogspot.com/2007/07/date-raped.html

and btw, m also part of a reproductive health advocacy. part of our program is putting a stop to violence against women.

http://quinkoytawops.blogspot.com/2007/07/involve-us-as-we-dream-of-living.html

and this one

http://quinkoytawops.blogspot.com/2007/07/reproductive-health-and-youth.html

I hope these can help.

 
At August 21, 2007 1:01 AM, Anonymous CreditGal said...

I'm a little bit late. Could you tell me, what has been at April 5th, please? It is a very interesting and topical point.

 
At September 27, 2007 5:01 PM, Anonymous Michael said...

Thanks for your nice post!

 
At November 28, 2009 5:26 AM, Anonymous Jayne said...

Wish i thought of this.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home