Sunday, April 22, 2007

The Good Student Rape Defense

This case caught my attention because the defense attorney focused on facts which have absolutely no bearing on guilt or innocence, but which focus on what type of men the general public believes commits rape and what type the general public believes doesn't commit rape.

An attorney representing the Hobart student accused of raping two students and sexually abusing a third told a judge Friday that his client had been wrongly charged.

"He was a good student with B grades at school," said defense attorney Michael Roulan of his client, Preston Wido. "He has no criminal record. ... Whatever happened was consensual."

This defense strategy may convince some people that this man must be innocent, but for me this strategy sends the opposite message.

Technorati tags:

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
posted by Marcella Chester @ 8:28 PM   4 comments links to this post

4 Comments:

At April 22, 2007 2:25 PM, Blogger The Speaker said...

I make straight A's in school. Does that mean I am incapable of committing a violent crime? No. I make straight A's and I still have a free will. Imagine that! My grades have nothing to do with the choices I make, or how they effect others. Perhaps if I had take the precious time to get to know the shit that raped me I might have discovered that he made good grades in school as well. But the truth is- he wasn't making small talk about his academic achievements when he was raping me.

 
At April 22, 2007 4:30 PM, Blogger Threat Assessment & Response Canada said...

Speaker: You tell 'em, girl!

the defense attorney focused on facts which have absolutely no bearing on guilt or innocence, but which focus on what type of men the general public believes commits rape and what type the general public believes doesn't commit rape.

ohh... I'm sorry... well, sort of... but I started laughing as I was reading this. Not because it's funny but because it's ludicrous. Usually the defence gives that little speech at the time of sentencing.

The really scary thing is that some people actually buy into this crap! ... or they want to, anyway. I'm sure you've already read about this, but your readers might want to look into what's called "Just World Theory".

Ted Bundy volunteered; John Wayne Gacy was a respected business man; Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka were the sweet young yuppie couple next door; BTK was a church deacon and an enforcement officer. The list goes on and on....

ughh.... How does one "beware the bogeyman" when he could be your husband, your father, your best friend....

Laurie

 
At April 22, 2007 6:26 PM, Blogger The Speaker said...

There is not bogeyman. You are right. It's the nice guy next door.

 
At May 06, 2008 5:02 AM, OpenID privytoschemes said...

i go to hobart & william smith colleges. this case has shocked the entire hws community, especially the william smith students. it is just going to trial now, and the outlook isnt good. these cases never seem to end well. i'm hoping to sit in on court sometime this week.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home