Saturday, August 25, 2007

Anonymous Gives Men A Bad Name

It looks like I have another impersonator, this time on LiveJournal. The last one focused on the Duke case and for some very odd reason, Katie Couric's legs, when commenting using my name in seemingly random blogs.

From the description of user marcellam and the twisting of one of my posts here it looks like this latest person or group of people turned my position into a caricature. I have contacted LiveJournal, but don't know how long that process will take.

Here's a statement that seems to reflect this person's real worry:

I knew I'd find a group of men filled with misogyny in this community! It's men like you who perpetuate our culture of rape. You may feel safe behind your keyboard, but soon even sexual harassment over the internet will be illegal!

Can anyone say projection? It sounds like he's trying to make sure that what he's doing is never illegal.

If anyone can provide information which leads me to the real name and contact information of this impersonator, I would greatly appreciate it so I may take the appropriate legal action.

I'm always amazed at the people who reach rock bottom and then just keep digging.

I believe this latest effort is either related to this post and the attack on Heart and other feminist bloggers or it is related to the subject of this rejected comment.

A little background: this comment came in after I deleted specific criminal allegations which were described as proven facts by anonymous commenters. Because I knew those who wrote these comments would howl in protest over having their first amendment rights violated, I offered to approve those same comments if the authors of those comments would be legally responsible for their comments which they claimed contained only proven facts.

Obviously, none of the anonymous men resubmitted their previous comments, but that didn't stop the howls of protest.

So here's the comment, complete with indirect threat:

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "AJR Article Justice Delayed Dukes It Out":


Unless YOU can verify who we are, you won't allow our comments!!! f'ing laughable. funny how you thought the internet would help you advance your causes, but apply a little heat to Marcella, and she melts like a glob of ice cream dropped on a hot sidewalk by a 4 year old. sad thing is , you just don't get it. In spite of well meaning people who came here not to ridicule you, but inform you. carry on, agenda driven fool. fear not, the internet will vanquish you and your agenda in the long run.

As he lambasts my agenda, he makes his agenda perfectly clear.

Destruction.

Of course with that agenda he isn't going to reveal his legal name.

I get it all right. My agenda is to stop rape and to stop injustices against those who report rape -- and this man's agenda is to "vanquish" me and my "nasty" agenda.

Got it.

Update: It looks like the information from my blogger profile (including the claim to have authored my novel Cherry Love) has, at least temporarily, been removed from the profile of LJ user, marcellam. The remaining information (which is false or stretched to the very outer limits of truthfulness) remains: "I'm a writer and I write about rape prevention."

Update #2: Whoever owns the LJ userid marcellam has deleted the thread where LJ members trace the information from this user's original (and stolen) profile back to me and verify that this user is an imposter. Note: Attempting to hide what was done doesn't change the reality of what was done.

Update #3: In a fine bit of irony, I see that when people try to comment on my stolen and distorted post, they see this: "this user has disabled anonymous posting."

Update #4 (8/28): The LJ userid marcellam has been suspended.

Technorati tags:

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
posted by Marcella Chester @ 12:20 AM   5 comments links to this post

5 Comments:

At August 25, 2007 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anne said...

"Men" like him or them are so pathetic there aren't words to describe it. I mean, you really have to have no life whatsoever to be so obsessed with someone on the internet that you waste even the smallest amount of time and effort on them.

This is my favorite part: "In spite of well meaning people who came here not to ridicule you, but to inform you." BWAH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! Pathetic and delusional.

 
At August 25, 2007 10:21 PM, Blogger sophie said...

Your impersonator is male, right? I only skim-read that link, but that looks like a very strongly male pov and tone.

Just how he thinks he can pull off impersonating a female from a male pov... well, let's just say I've seen it done a hundred times better than that.
That's pretty horrible - what he's doing.
I had a look at this: http://creativecommons.org/ the other day - but I'm not sure if any of their licenses cover this situation. Still, it's an extra lever against impersonators - I was thinking of putting a notice on my cow blog to deter AR activists who might use the images out of context.

 
At August 25, 2007 11:16 PM, Blogger Marcella Chester said...

Sophie, yes, my impersonator is definitely a man as was the previous one. I've looked into creative commons and I don't think a license would have stopped this guy from copying my words since he is operating anonymously and therefore feels immune to any legal restrictions.

I don't know if this guy thought he could fool anybody. He certainly made a mistake by claiming to be the author of Cherry Love since that gave people a fast way of finding my name and from there finding me.

 
At September 01, 2007 2:52 PM, Blogger Patricia Singleton said...

On my blog, Spiritual Journey Of A Lightworker, I write about my spiritual journey as it pertains to me and may possibly help others through the sharing of my experiences. I have gotten one negative response which was sent to my email instead of posting on my blog. This was before I started my series on my recovery from incest. The person was offended by my "religious" beliefs. I responsed to "his" first email. At the end of "his" second email, was added, "Oh, by the way, this is not my email address or my name". Talk about wanting to be anonymous. I deleted the second email unanswered and also deleted the subscription to my blog that was done under a female name. I haven't gotten any further emails from this person. Anonymity shows a lack of courage in your beliefs.

 
At September 07, 2007 12:04 PM, Blogger Holly said...

Hi Marcella,
He is a coward and stupid! Take care

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home