Sunday, August 19, 2007

Is Rape Really Any Worse Than Any Other Crime?

Whenever I see a question like this, I know the person asking the question is trying to minimize the impact of rape and is hoping others will chime in supportively with "objective" responses. Once that happens then those who talk about the serious impact of rape can be declared to be overreacting or irrational.

After all, "objective" people have declared rape to be no worse than any other crime. Only those clearly "non-objective" people disagree.

The dismissive way "objective" people talk about rape when raising or answering these sorts of questions supports the rationalizations used by those considering rape. This is true even if a disclaimer is given that the person in no way is attempting to minimize or support rape. Note: if you have to write a disclaimer, whatever you write in your disclaimer is false.

The description of rape by "objective" people becomes so generic that those doing the "objective" quantifying strip away all elements except the movement of one body part. Tab B goes into Slot A. And people get prison time for that?

If we used these methods, we could turn any trauma into far less than it really is.

We could take a father who was mugged by a man who aimed a gun straight at his heart, and who smiled in a way that made it clear that the mugged man's life has no value to him and we could say there was no trauma at all since the man wasn't physically harmed.

It wouldn't matter that this person now knows where his victim lives and now has a picture of his wife and daughters because he has the man's wallet. The only harm is the amount of cash in the wallet and the cost to replace the lost items.

"Objectively" this means that the mugger committed a crime no worse than the man who finds the wallet another man lost and who decides to keep it.

This twisting of reality shows how non-objective this so-called "objectivity" really is.

Technorati tags:


Bookmark and Share
posted by Marcella Chester @ 10:39 AM   4 comments links to this post


At August 19, 2007 6:18 PM, Blogger Aerik said...

I made sure to leave my own little reply. fencingmatt's reply is truly pathetic.

And it gets just worse. Here's another thread where a poster agrees that fornicating somebody in their sleep isn't rape.

At August 20, 2007 9:33 AM, Blogger sailorman said...

It is really a stupid question and I applaud you for mocking it.

Rape is worse than most crimes (which is part of why it's a felony, duh.) IMO it's not worse than ALL crimes; I consider murder to be a "worse" crime than rape and I think this is a common opinion.

But so what? I mean, it's obvious that rape is in the category of "the worst" crimes, so there's not much to be gained by blathering about whether it's the third worst or the fifth worst or the second worst.

Are we supposed to "care more" if it was #2 instead of #4? Why? ALL those crimes are nasty enough that the deserve our constant attempts to stop them.

ALL of them. I'm not suddenly going to lose sympathy for rape victims just because someone else gets their face beaten in with a bat. And I'm not going to lose sympathy for beating victims just because someone gets raped.

I don't understand why someone would go there.

At August 21, 2007 4:35 PM, Anonymous iwantmorethansurvival said...

What a spot-on post.

As a rape survivor myself, I have even tried to 'rationalise it all away' by telling myself it was 'only my body' and that it was years ago, and my body doesn't have any lasting effects (debatable actually) and so if that's the case shouldn't the psychological pain be gone because my body is 'safe' now, and it was 'only my body' anyway.

Well, it obviously WASN'T just about my body. It feels like someone got through to my very soul and tore it.

I wish so much that I could seperate everything out and have it as just my body that was hurt but now it's over so everything is okay. I think in order to do that I would have to lose a big part of my humanity however. Then I might end up like my paedophile father who just sees everybody as a piece of meat.

At August 22, 2007 10:26 AM, Blogger StarWatcher said...

I was stunned to see this person blithely ignoring every point of information that the other commenters tried to share. So deliberately obtuse, and fighting tooth and nail to stay that way. There's a saying that applies -- "Don't confuse me with facts; my mind's made up."

Even more appalling, I think the original question was posed by a woman. (One of zir's comments mentioned having a boyfriend, but it could be a gay male. *shrug*) Regardless -- if one has a boyfriend, one is assumed to be sexually experienced. How can someone have accepted another person into their body, with all the intimacy that implies, and not realize the shattering consequences of having that taken by force? The mind boggles.

I just had to register for an account to add my two cents -- not that this twerp will pay any attention at all. But whoever reads the thread in the future needs to see how many people vigorously reject the OP's original assumption. I wrote --

"In other words, you expect rape to be something that 'just happens', like the wind blowing, and just as inevitable. By your lights, a woman can't escape it, so she might as well shrug it off and just accept it. God forbid we should require the MEN to stop raping! Obviously, it will warp their entire life if they aren't allowed to stick their dick in a nice warm hole whenever they want to. Oh, boo-hoo-hoo; we can't have THAT, now, can we? [/snark]

I've read a lot of misogynistic drivel in two years of visiting feminist blogs, but this is the biggest, deepest, stinkiest pile of shit I have ever seen. Congratulations."

Anyway, thanks for bringing this to our attention.


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home