Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Seeking Co-Bloggers For Remodel4life

I've had several short-term experiences being part of a group blog and the vibrancy of a group of people is great. Rather than waiting for someone else to invite me to join in again, I want to invite other sexual assault and sexual abuse survivors as primary participants in this group blog.

Because those who have never been the victims of a sex crime have a huge impact on this type of violence, I am also inviting those non-survivors who relate to the reality of the problem of sexual and gender violence -- and who respect others who have experienced violence -- to apply to join me in this group blog with the understanding that they are at one degree of separation or more from this serious problem.

Update: Right now for those who are not survivors of sexual violence I am limiting co-bloggers to those who bring personal insights or expertise related to sexual violence. For those this change excludes any posts which would have been appropriate here can still be nominated to the Carnival Against Sexual Violence.

Because of logistical issues, all co-bloggers will need blogger ids so they can publish their own content.

The description for Remodel4Life is: A blog for those willing to think about how to make the world a safer place without making potential victims of sexual violence stop living full healthy lives.

The simplest way to do this while allowing the most people to participate is to have limited commitments with cross-posts welcome. Contributors can participate for one post, one week, or one month or on a periodic basis. Each person gets to decide whether to allow or disable comments on their posts.

The rules of participation boil down to maintaining basic respect for yourself and for others. No victim blaming or bashing. No feminist bashing. No flaming or threats -- direct or indirect. No turf wars. No denying or minimizing of other people's experiences. No impersonating others. No patronizing advice to victims or survivors. Other than fair use quotes, you need to own the copyright for your posts. You can remain anonymous for privacy reasons, but anonymous attacks on other individuals are not allowed.

I'm not sure if there is any such thing as a safe space, but there can be a respectful space. Anger is allowed but it needs to be a respectful anger.

The goal of this blog is to focus primarily on what we as individuals or members of different groups can do. This includes supporting changes in the law, calling out those who support victim blaming, identifying harmful behaviors (without victim blaming), and challenging the way some or all of those victimized are treated. It also includes cheering those inside and outside of the blogosphere who are making a positive difference.

If this goal is something you support and you are interested in joining or have questions, please leave a comment with a link to your writing. If you want your comment to be for me only, please indicate that somewhere in your comment and provide your email address so I can respond to you.

Note: This will absolutely NOT be a debate blog where those who deny or minimize the reality and scope of sexual and domestic violence will get an equal voice. There are already plenty of venues for those interested in debate.

Technorati tags:

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
posted by Marcella Chester @ 12:04 AM   13 comments links to this post

13 Comments:

At February 19, 2008 7:34 PM, Blogger Cruella said...

hi marchella there are three stories on my blog - one my own and two people who responded to me telling my own story. you are welcome to use them as long as you put in a link back to my blog each time. kate

http://cruellablog.blogspot.com/2008/02/houston-we-have-problem.html
http://cruellablog.blogspot.com/2008/02/houston-we-are-not-only-ones-with.html
http://cruellablog.blogspot.com/2008/02/houston-we-have-more-issues.html

 
At March 06, 2008 8:01 PM, Anonymous Angelita said...

I am interested in becoming part of this blog. I read your entry about your call for bloggers, but I am not sure if this is the way to participate or if it is still an active blog.

Anyhow, I am a rape survivor and even though I have not shared my experience with many people, I know that it has shaped my life tremendously. I have thoughts, opinions, and advice to give out to those looking for it. I would like to tell my story (if possible) and open up momentarily this chapter of my life to give to others what was taken away from me.

 
At March 06, 2008 11:21 PM, Blogger Marcella Chester said...

Angelita, I'm still open to having more co-bloggers on Remodel4life. So far the posting has been uneven, but I'm hoping more people such as yourself will find it a useful way to communicate your thoughts so that if one person isn't posting someone else will be.

If you leave a comment with your email address (which I won't publish) I'll contact you privately to discuss logistics.

 
At March 08, 2008 6:38 PM, Blogger Kristen Skedgell said...

Hi, I'd like to be a part of the Remodel4Life blog also but am not sure how. I am a survivor of sexual abuse in a fundamentalist cult (as well as date rape when I was fourteen and molestation as a child.) Oh my. I've just written a memoir which is about to be published about my experience. Perhaps I could include an excerpt or I've written articles on same in my blog (http://losingtheway.blogspot.com). How do I find your book? It sounds great. kristen

 
At March 10, 2008 7:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was sexually assualted. Funny how I use that word, I guess I still haven't come to terms with it almost a year later that what he did to me is called rape. Long story short, I was in my bedroom, what at the time was considered a family friend of about 3 years came into my bedroom while my husband was in the field and started touching and kissing me. I told him to stop, I even tried to pretend to fall asleep hoping he would stop. He didn't and then told me he already started I might as well participate. I pushed but barely and I felt like where was all that strength I thought I would have if it ever happened to me. I wrote a poem but i've only shared it with a few and hopefully they don't realize its a personal experience. Just hold on and hang in there. Seek counseling if it gets too bad. I still haven't told anyone besides what is on this blog and whoever intepreted the poem for waht it was a release.

Thank you

 
At March 10, 2008 8:56 AM, Blogger Marcella Chester said...

Kristen,

I responded to you in private email with info on how to be added to Remodel4life.

Anonymous,

My heart breaks for you. Thank you so much for speaking up in whatever way you can.

 
At April 03, 2008 10:55 PM, Blogger Xavier Pierre Jr. said...

I would love to participate. Just tell me how I can help.

Peace and Love

Xavier

 
At May 11, 2008 9:16 PM, Blogger Bloom Adventurer said...

Hi Marcella~

I'm working on a documentary film that examines the systemic response to sexual assault, specifically in Alaska.

My film partner and I are absolutely aware of just how sensitive this topic is. We are committed to exploring all pertinent view points and desire to do so in an accurate, yet sensitive manner. Hence, we are open to stories from women of all races and ethnicities.

One other thing, I'd like to make perfectly clear...by sharing stories with us, no one is automatically committing to be in the film. At this point, we just want to speak with people off the record and then go from there. It is truly not our intention to scandalize, rather we hope that by pointing out the shortcomings of the systemic response to SA/DV through specific stories in such a public way, we will be working towards the ultimate goal that another Alaskan woman won't have to suffer the same injustice.

Much like your blog, we hope that through sharing, we can promoting healing.

Please check out my blog for more info: http://blindingjustice.blogspot.com/

Sincerely,
Stacy

 
At June 24, 2008 4:49 PM, Blogger Barbara(aka Layla) said...

Hi Marcella, I usually read your blog via Bloglines so never noticed the sidebar item that talks about you looking for co-bloggers. I would love to share on the topic if you ever need some posts. I don't write much on my blog "A Place to Talk About Rape" anymore but sometimes its therapeutic for me to write

Let me know,
Barbara

http://rapesexualabuse.blogspot.com/

 
At June 25, 2008 9:38 AM, Blogger Marcella Chester said...

Barbara, I sent you an email with the details on how to become a co-blogger.

 
At June 28, 2008 3:44 PM, Blogger James Landrith said...

Marcella:

If you are comfortable with a male rape survivor on the blog, I'd be interested in joining. You already have my email as I sent you a message earlier today.

Thank you.

 
At July 04, 2008 6:25 PM, Anonymous Shannon said...

Hi Marcella,

I am working on a photography project about women survivors of child sex abuse. If you or anyone you know might be interested, please find more information at www.inthelightproject.com.

Thanks for your help and the work that you do.

Shannon

 
At July 05, 2008 11:31 AM, Blogger Marcella Chester said...

Shannon, thanks for the information about your project. I'm not a survivor of child sex abuse myself so I don't fit the scope of survivors you are looking for.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home