Thursday, March 06, 2008

Blog Against Sexual Violence Day 3 April 2008

Blog Against Sexual Violence logo

On the national A Day To End Sexual Violence scheduled for Thursday April 3rd, 2008 as part of Sexual Assault Awareness Month, I will, for the second year in a row, be coordinating a Blog Against Sexual Violence (BASV) event. The goal is to get as many bloggers as we can to participate.

Last year we had 79 participants. I would love to see the number of participants reach the triple digits this year. That's where you can help. Keep reading to learn how.

The 2008 Sexual Assault Awareness Month campaign national slogan for this April is: Prevent Sexual Violence…in our workplaces.

This is an important area which often gets neglected until a report of rape by a coworker ends with murder or gang rape becomes a matter for employment arbitration. Often in the workplace, it is the person targeted for sexual violence who is expected to give up everything if their workplace becomes sexually hostile.

If you plan to participate in the Blog Against Sexual Violence event on Thursday April 3, please do the following:

1) Write a post about this project on your blog as soon as you can with a link back here.

2) Add the BASV logo to your blog (optional)

3) Pass on the word about this effort to any person or any group who might find this effort worth supporting.

Anything which helps get the word out over the next month to all those who care about preventing sexual violence is welcome.

I will put a blogroll of BASV participants up soon and will periodically add all those who have announced their participation.

For those who don't know what to say, please participate anyway. Include a link to your favorite articles or blog posts on this subject.

Sex crime victims and survivors have been bearing the greatest responsibility for rape prevention for far too long. If anyone needs to be educated on what they should do differently it is those who look the other way -- or worse approve -- when someone steps over the line in their effort to make sexual contact.

If nothing else, you can post some resources such as:
RAINN National Sexual Assault Hotline (US): 1.800.656.HOPE (1.800.656.4673)

As the date approaches, I will post reminders about this event.

Update (4/4): Check out the list of known participants. If you wrote a post for BASV day and aren't in the list, please check to see if you have a link to this post in your post. Once you add a link if needed, please let me know and I'll add you to the participant list. If you didn't write a post on BASV day, please write a belated post. The exact date is less important than the participation.

To place the graphic shown above on your blog insert the following code:


Here's an alternate logo available for those who have been injured by sexual violence. (I took the idea of the purple heart and used teal which is the color used in the sexual assault awareness ribbons):
Teal Heart Award logo



If you announce your participation with a link to this post and don't show up on the blogroll within a couple of days, please contact me through a comment or private email (listed here on my profile) and I will add you to the BASV blogroll.

Feel free to contact me with any questions or suggestions you have related to this event.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
posted by Marcella Chester @ 12:07 AM   23 comments links to this post

23 Comments:

At March 06, 2008 2:59 PM, Anonymous Jen said...

Count SAFER in!

 
At March 07, 2008 10:55 PM, Blogger Barbara said...

I'm in!

 
At March 08, 2008 8:22 PM, Blogger Holly/Admin said...

Was glad to see this post about the event Marcella!

This event will bring awareness which is needed today.

Just recently a Judge in Canada, called a survivor of rape, "naive and stupid".

Just recently YouTube posted a rape...

Do we need more reasons to take part in the event?

 
At March 09, 2008 7:59 PM, Blogger NOLA radfem said...

Do the entries need to be specifically about the workplace issues?

Thank you.

 
At March 09, 2008 10:10 PM, Blogger Marcella Chester said...

NOLA Radfem,

I'm glad you asked. Posts don't need to be about the workplace.

Blog against sexual violence in any way that suits you.

 
At March 10, 2008 5:33 PM, Anonymous Megan from Imaginif said...

Marcella I will happily participate again this year. I'll run my child safety writing project (with a cash prize of $50.00) to coincide with this too.

 
At March 14, 2008 9:32 AM, Anonymous Nicole said...

Please count me in and I'll be telling my readers about it as well.

 
At March 15, 2008 6:07 AM, Blogger Jen said...

I'm so in.
Code is going up on the sidebar shortly.
Thanks for doing this again!

 
At March 18, 2008 1:46 PM, Blogger Nina said...

I'm in. I've already posted quite a bit about abuse, but I'll work on something especially for the day. Thank you so much.

 
At March 19, 2008 10:04 AM, Blogger Marj aka Thriver said...

I'm so glad we were able to include this announcement in the March edition of THE BLOG CARNIVAL AGAINST CHILD ABUSE. I usually put up an announcement post about A Day To End Sexual Violence and Sexual Assault Awareness Month, but this year, I think I will participate in this in a more personal way. Thanks for the heads-up!

 
At March 31, 2008 6:54 PM, Anonymous Cara said...

I will be participating, and I look forward to it.

 
At April 01, 2008 1:41 AM, Anonymous Holly said...

Thank you for this, you can definitely count me in.

 
At April 02, 2008 11:08 AM, Anonymous Sara said...

I'm so glad I found out about this! Thanks for what you are doing.

 
At April 02, 2008 5:06 PM, Anonymous judgesnineteen said...

Awesome. I'll give it a shot - mostly I'm looking forward to reading the other posts.

 
At April 02, 2008 8:37 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

I'm totally in.

 
At April 03, 2008 11:51 AM, Blogger Calder said...

I've added your logo to mine and will post my story later today in my blog.

Great cause! Thanks!

 
At April 03, 2008 1:11 PM, Blogger Enola said...

Count me in too.

 
At April 03, 2008 6:06 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

I'm in, here.

 
At April 03, 2008 9:54 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Count The Confessor in at confessor-rachel.blogspot.com.

 
At April 03, 2008 10:15 PM, Blogger ~Denise~ said...

Count me in.

 
At April 06, 2008 4:47 PM, Blogger ex amelias said...

Hi
I´m a medical doctor in Brasil and one of my jobs is taking care of the health of vitms from sexual violence.
It´s always very good knowing people who cares about them.
Solange

 
At June 17, 2008 6:25 PM, Blogger concernedheart said...

hi there.im a doctor too who is concerned about sexual crimes all over the world.the number of this crime is been increasing day by day.
im trying my level best to create awareness towards sexual abuse thru my blog;please pay a visit to it people-we can share our mind in creating more ideas to over come this progressing social illness.

my blog's url:
http://dr-anthropomorphic83.blogspot.com/

 
At September 11, 2008 3:46 PM, Anonymous Miss Melinda said...

Wow. I wish I had known about this earlier, I would have definitely participated! Count me in for next year. I love the logo. :)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home