Wednesday, June 25, 2008

I'm Right But That Makes Me Wrong

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Why Rape Survivors Go Online":

wow abyss2hope, you really do think you know everything. do tell everyone how to be feminists. you're right, but self-righteous and that gets my goat. no wonder trolls come here. you really do give feminism a bad name.

What I find fascinating about this comment is that the commenter (from Guildford in England) says that I am right in what I say in that post. But how dare I be right with too much confidence! This criticism rolls off my back but it is such a common attack directed at myself and other rape survivors that I felt a need to address it.

This person couldn't find anything of substance to attack in my post, but that poses no problem for this person. Attack the character of the person whose position you cannot attack. If the attack is irrational and unrelated to the content of the post, who cares?

The fact that I don't mention feminism even once in my post doesn't matter, I somehow managed to tell everyone how to be feminists without saying a word.

The goal of this comment is to shame me for speaking up boldly about a very important topic. Attacks against me -- and against other rape survivors who can be described as coming across as too self-righteous -- get spun into things which the rape survivor caused.

Those who blast us aren't responsible for their personal attacks. Yes, they may be trolls but we got their goat so their trollness is our fault. We have it coming to us.

This is a message which blatantly and unapologetically echoes the victim blaming most of us get over being raped -- if we aren't called liars.

Nicely done, Anonymous.

Technorati tags:

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
posted by Marcella Chester @ 9:06 AM   3 comments links to this post

3 Comments:

At June 25, 2008 3:50 PM, Anonymous Cara said...

Oh, rape apologists are always saying "you give feminism a bad name." To the point where I've more or less decided that if anyone says "you give feminism a bad name" on a rape thread, the feminist is undoubtedly right.

 
At June 26, 2008 9:46 AM, OpenID finchtree said...

I think we should call that "Chester's Law". When someone says "You give feminism/feminists a bad name", the thread is over and the feminist is proven correct.

 
At June 26, 2008 12:11 PM, Anonymous m Andrea said...

lol Finchtree. I agree!

Besides that, Marcella always gives an actual reason for what she says. I LOVE that!!

So when the person ignores the reason given, and instead changes the subject to feelings, and then argues about the feelings -- it's a dead givaway.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home