Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Women Action And Media Conference 2009

I and 3 other presenters have had our workshop proposal approved for the 2009 Women, Action & the Media Conference (WAM!2009) in Cambridge, MA from March 27 to 29.

The goal of WAM! is to bring together everyone who has a stake in achieving gender justice in media, in order to share facts and ideas, develop skills, build collaborations, bridge differences and create action plans.

We will be presenting:

Pulling the Plug on Rape Culture One Word at a Time:
Using Accuracy to Undermine Dangerous Attitudes and Injustice.

My fellow panelists are:

Cara Kulwicki, Ashley Burczak and Ashwini Hardikar.

The conference fee is comped for speakers, but only limited travel help is available so I need to do my own fundraising to cover as much of my expenses as I can.

The easiest way to help me get there (and back) is to donate via PayPal (click the "Make a Donation" button in the sidebar).

If you can do so, please donate immediately so I know how much, if any, financial help I will need to request from the conference organizers.

I haven't yet booked my flight (there's a very small chance I'll drive) but it looks like it will cost $400 minimum for the flight itself and more for a checked bag. I'll be sharing a room which may cost me up to $100 per night. I don't believe food is included so there is that expense as well.

That's a lot of money, especially in this economy. However, if everyone who has visited my blog and supports my mission of stopping sexual violence can immediately donate even a dollar (send cash to PO Box 6506, Rochester, MN 55903) I can let the conference organizers help another presenter cover basic expenses who might not otherwise get help or who might not get as much help as needed.

For any individual who donates over $40 between now and Dec. 19, I will mail you 2 signed copies of my novel, Cherry Love, as a thank you if you include a shipping address. You can keep one copy for yourself and give the other one away to a friend.

Besides presenting this one workshop, I plan to learn from other WAM!2009 presenters and attendees so I can be more effective in my efforts to make a positive difference.

Thank you in advance to everyone who is willing and able to help.




Labels:

Bookmark and Share
posted by Marcella Chester @ 12:04 AM   2 comments links to this post

2 Comments:

At February 02, 2009 11:07 AM, Blogger Marj aka Thriver said...

Wow! Fantastic! I am so excited for you. Congratulations! I will donate for your trip. I just wish I could go and see you. If the conference was in Minneapolis/St. Paul I'd be golden! We're going to be up there visiting friends during my son's spring break.

 
At February 02, 2009 2:29 PM, Blogger Marcella Chester said...

Marj,

Thanks so much for donating. It would be great if we could meet.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home